Forgetting about garage door maintenance is normal — who thinks about their garage doors? All you care about is that the door opens and closes when you need it to. As a homeowner, you already have so many other items on your to-do list. Is garage door maintenance a must?
Here are three reasons you should schedule a tuneup today:
1. Keep it Working
Keeping your garage doors functioning is a must. Think about how frustrated you’d be if they suddenly stop working when you needed to get your car out to get to work. Preventive garage door maintenance will help you avoid this unpleasant scenario and keep your day on schedule.
2. Prevent Damage and Injury
You don’t want your garage door closing on your car, your pet, your child or you. Regular maintenance checks will ensure that the opening system and safety features are all in good condition. It makes more sense to schedule preventive work than to deal with the collateral damage from a breakdown.
3. Save Money
Garage doors are just like many other fixtures on your property — the better they’re maintained, the longer they will last. Replacing worn parts and refinishing the exterior will help your investment last. You will get more life out of your garage doors, which will save you money over the long term.
What Do You Get in a Maintenance Checkup?
When you schedule a maintenance check, the technician will look over the following parts of the system:
- Rollers: They make sure the steel or nylon rollers aren’t cracked or worn down.
Weatherstripping: They look at the edges to ensure your garage enjoys maximum energy efficiency.
- Cables: They look over each cable, making sure no strands are broken.
- Tracks: They check the balance and layout of each track, clearing any debris.
- Safety features: They test the auto-reverse feature on mechanical opening systems to make sure they’re performing up to par.
- Lubricant: They add lubricant to ensure the door’s movements are as smooth and efficient as possible.
- Brackets and hardware: They check the security of screws, making sure the vibrations from the door haven’t caused any to loosen.
- Exterior: They look at the finish and advise you of any need for resurfacing to prevent rust or rot.
Are you due for garage door maintenance? Overhead Door Company provides affordable, speedy service for homeowners throughout Utah. Get preventive service or repairs. Call today to request service or find out more.