At Overhead Door Company, we’re proud to offer not only a wide array of garage door repair and related services, but also support to handy, DIY home and building owners. While there are certain significant garage door repair areas you should never attempt on your own unless you have professional training, there are other minor upkeep and maintenance themes most home or building owners can easily handle on their own without risking safety or garage door quality.
One good example that rides both sides of this fence is the presence of minor dents in your garage door. There are a couple repair methods handy individuals are often able to complete simply and easily on their own to remedy these dents – but also other situations where this job should be left to the pros for both safety and practical reasons. Let’s go over the viable repair methods at your disposal, plus situations where you should swallow your pride and let our team of garage door repair technicians handle the issue for you.
Wooden Block Method
For this method, you’ll need a wooden block, a rubber mallet, a putty knife, some sandpaper, as well as patching material, paint and primer in the proper colors to match the garage door. You’ll also require warm water and detergent. You’ll take the following steps:
- Wash the dented area with warm water and detergent, then let it completely air dry.
- Place the wood block over the dent and tap it with the mallet to even the dent.
- Sand the area to smooth it out.
- Use the patching material to cover the dented area, evening things out with the putty knife.
- Let things dry, then sand the area down to smoothness again.
- Apply primer and paint as normal.
Aluminum Foil Method
In this case, you’ll also require warm water and detergent. The other tools needed will be a heat source, aluminum foil and a source of compressed air. Take these steps:
- Wash the area with water and detergent and let it dry fully.
- Place a strip of aluminum foil completely over the dent.
- Use the heat source to evenly heat the foil.
- After about one minute, remove the foil and spray the dent with compressed air, upside-down, for about 30 seconds.
When to Call the Pros
If you’ve attempted one or both of the above methods without success, including trying multiple times for stubborn dents, it’s time to call our team. In addition, we strongly recommend against attempting either of the methods we’ve gone over here if you’re the least bit hesitant or inexperienced with any of the required components, such as compressed air or patching materials. If there’s even a shred of doubt that you can complete the job safely and without creating further damage, simply put the tools down and call our garage door repair pros, who will handle the issue hassle-free and for an affordable cost.
For more on any of our garage door repair services, from dents to numerous other areas, speak to the staff at Overhead Door Company today.